Explore Heritage
Changgyeonggung Palace and Its History
Changgyeonggung Palace was built by King Seongjong in 1483 on the site of Suganggug Place where King Sejong built in 1418 (ascension of king) for his father, King Taejong, who abdicated the throne for him. King Seongjong expanded Suganggung Palace for his grandmother, mother and aunt and changed the name to Changgyeonggung Palace. Changgyeonggung Palace was originally a part of Changdeokgung Palace without any boundary in between, and it was called Donggwol, or the East Palace. Changgyeonggung Palace was mainly used as living quarters of the royal family. Changgyeonggung Palace was destroyed in the Japanese invasion in 1592 and rebuilt in 1616. In 1830, a great fire consumed the majority of buildings, which were renovated four years later. When Emperor Sunjong ascended to the throne in 1907, the palace lost its dignity. Because a zoo and a botanical garden were established within the palace grounds by Japan. During the Japanese colonial period, the Japanese degraded the palace to a park, naming it to Changgyeongwon Park, and damaged it significantly. It regained its name as Changgyeonggung Palace in 1983. The palace was finally restored to what we see today after undergoing restoration work.

Classification Detail
1418 (ascension of King Sejong)
Established Suganggung Palace
1483 (the 14th year of King Seongjong)
Established Changgyeonggung Palace
1592 (the 25th year of King Seonjo)
Changgyeonggung Palace destroyed due to the Japanese invasion
1616 (the 8th year of King Gwanghae)
Rebuilt Myeongjeongjeon Hall, Munjeongjeon Hall, and Hwangyeongjeon Hall
1624 (the 2nd year of King Injo)
Some buildings of the inner court (including Tongmyeongjeon and Yanghwadang Halls) destroyed in Yi Gwal's Rebellion.
1633 (the 11th year of King Injo)
Rebuilt buildings of the inner court
1830 (the 30th year of King Sunjo)
Most buildings lost in a great fire
1834 (the 34th year of King Sunjo)
Rebuilt major buildings lost in fire
1909 (the 3rd year of Sunjong Emperor)
Established a zoo and a botanical garden in Changgyeonggung Palace
Demoted the palace to a park, naming it Changgyeongwon Park
Name reinstated to Changgyeonggung Palace; restoration project began